Faizabad sit-in: Political, religious parties politicised the issue | Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal said on Monday that certain political and religious parties politicised the issue regarding the law, which led to the protest at Faizabad Interchange, which created problems for the government.

He further said that the law which became the focal point of the sit-inb was passed after consultation with all political parties.

Iqbal also said that the sit-in by members of the religious party has left a number of questions for the nation.

The interior minister said all matters have been settled with the protestors, the sites have been cleared, and hopefully, by Monday evening, the situation all over the country will normalise. 

He added that during the sit-in protest people were instigated and home’s were attacked.

“Those whose houses were attacked were also Muslims and believed in the finality of Prophethood.”

Elaborating on the operation which took place on Saturday to clear Faizabad Interchange from the protesters, Iqbal said the operation was launched without the ownership of the political leadership. 

The interior minister said the executive must be given time to execute its responsibilities. “When others do not give time to the executive, how would the performance improve?”

He added that though the matter is now over, it should be reviewed how to compensate the loss incurred during the sit-in protest.

Following the voluntary resignation of Federal Law Minister Zahid Hamid, the government and Faizabad protesters reached an agreement on Monday to end the sit-in.

Khadim Hussain Rizvi, the leader of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Ya Rasoolullah made the official announcement to end the sit-in around 10:30am. The cleric said they have been given 12 hours to move out.

He appealed to protesters across the country to disperse, adding that the Faizabad-based protesters are packing up their things and will soon vacate the sit-in site.

Rizvi also temporarily took the media hostage after he learned that his press conference was not given live coverage due to the government’s ban. However, media personnel were given safe passage after the Rangers intervened.

Earlier, despite the agreement, the protesters were present at Faizabad Interchange in Islamabad, as well as various places across the country. 

Agreement between govt and protesters

According to the agreement, the government will release, within 30 days, the report of the committee set up to probe the change in the amendment to the Finality of Prophethood declaration for electoral candidates in the Elections Act 2017. It also states that those found responsible are punished according to the relevant laws. 

The agreement also includes the condition that the workers of religious parties, arrested since November 6, 2017, will have to be released and cases against them dismissed.

It is also stated in the agreement that an inquiry board will be set up to probe the events surrounding the government action against protesters on November 25 and fix responsibility.  

News Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *